Canada is a country with a rich and diverse gambling culture. From traditional casinos and lotteries to the emerging markets of online betting and esports, Canadians have plenty of options to enjoy their favourite games and win some money. We cover the latest casino news in Canada, including the most popular and profitable betting, esports, lottery, and poker activities. We will also provide some tips and advice on making the most of your gambling experience in Canada.
Betting in Canada
Betting is one of Canada’s oldest and most popular forms of gambling. Canadians love to bet on various online and offline sports, events, and outcomes. Some of the most popular betting options in Canada are:
- Sports betting: Canadians are avid sports fans who enjoy betting on their favourite teams and players. Some of Canada’s most popular sports to bet on are hockey, football, basketball, baseball, and soccer. Canadians can bet on sports through provincial lotteries, online sportsbooks, and land-based bookmakers. However, a legal restriction prevents Canadians from betting on single events, meaning they must bet on at least two or more outcomes in a parlay. This restriction has been criticized by many stakeholders, who argue that it limits the potential of the Canadian sports betting market and drives customers to offshore operators. Several attempts have been made to change this law, but they have failed.
- Esports betting: Esports, or competitive video gaming, is a relatively new phenomenon that has gained much popularity and recognition in recent years. Esports betting is the practice of wagering on the outcomes of esports matches, tournaments, and events. Esports betting is especially popular among younger and tech-savvy Canadians, who follow the professional esports scene and support their favourite teams and players. Some of the most popular esports to bet on in Canada are League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Overwatch, and Fortnite. Canadians can bet on esports through various online platforms, such as Betway, Unikrn, and GG.Bet.
- Horse racing: Canada has a long and proud history of horse racing, dating back to the 18th century. Today, there are many racetracks and off-track betting facilities across the country where Canadians can bet on local and international races. Some of the most famous racetracks in Canada are Woodbine, Mohawk, and Hastings Park.
Betting in Canada: Legal Changes and New Opportunities
Betting is one of Canada’s most popular forms of gambling, especially in sports events. However, until recently, Canadians were limited to betting on parlay bets, which required them to predict the outcome of multiple events correctly. This means that they could not place single bets on individual games, such as the winner of a hockey match or the score of a soccer game. This restriction was imposed by the Criminal Code of Canada, which prohibited betting on single events, except for horse racing.
However, in June 2021, the Canadian Parliament passed Bill C-218, also known as the Safe and Regulated Sports Betting Act, which amended the Criminal Code to allow provinces and territories to regulate and license single-event sports betting. This was a historic moment for the Canadian gambling industry, opening up new opportunities for players and operators. According to some estimates, Canada’s legal single-event sports betting market could be worth up to $14 billion annually, compared to the current $500 million wagered through legal parlay bets.
Legalizing single-event sports betting also paved the way for more partnerships and collaborations between Canadian gambling operators and sports leagues, teams, and media. For example, in August 2021, the Canadian Football League (CFL) announced a multi-year deal with BetRegal, a leading online sportsbook, to become its official sports gaming partner. The deal will allow BetRegal to offer exclusive CFL content and promotions to its customers and integrate its brand and products into the CFL’s digital platforms and broadcasts. Similarly, in September 2021, the National Hockey League (NHL) signed a 10-year agreement with Sportsnet, a Canadian sports media company, to become its exclusive media rights holder in Canada. The deal will give Sportsnet access to more than 1,000 NHL games per season and offer its viewers innovative and interactive betting features, such as live odds, prop bets, and in-play wagering.
These are just some examples of how the legal changes in Canada have created new opportunities for betting enthusiasts and operators. As more provinces and territories launch their own single-event sports betting platforms, we can expect to see more innovation and competition in the Canadian betting market and more benefits for the players, such as better odds, more choices, and more rewards.
Esport in Canada
Esport is not only a popular betting option but also a thriving industry and community in Canada. Canada is home to some of the world’s best and most successful esports teams and players, such as Team Liquid, Cloud9, Evil Geniuses, and Luminosity Gaming. Canada also hosts some of the biggest and most prestigious esports events and tournaments, such as the Six Invitational, the Dota 2 International, and the Overwatch League. Various organizations and initiatives, such as the Canadian Esports Association, the Canadian Collegiate Esports League, and the Canadian Esports Expo, support Esports in Canada.
Esports in Canada offers many opportunities and benefits for Canadians, such as:
- Entertainment: Esport is a form of entertainment that appeals to many Canadians, especially the younger generation. Esport is exciting, engaging, and interactive, allowing fans to watch, play, and interact with their favourite games and personalities. Esport also fosters community and belonging, connecting people with similar interests and passions.
- Education: Esport is a form of education that can teach Canadians valuable skills and knowledge, such as teamwork, communication, problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity. Esport can also inspire and motivate Canadians to pursue their dreams and goals as they see the success and achievements of their role models and idols. Esports can also provide opportunities for learning and development, such as scholarships, internships, and mentorships.
- Employment: Esport is a form of employment that can create jobs and income for Canadians directly and indirectly. Esport can provide direct employment for Canadians who work as professional players, coaches, managers, commentators, analysts, journalists, and content creators. Esports can also provide indirect employment for Canadians in related industries and sectors, such as gaming, media, technology, marketing, and tourism.
Esport in Canada: A Growing and Thriving Sector
Esport, or competitive video gaming, is another form of gambling that has grown and thrived in Canada in recent years. Esport is a popular pastime for millions of Canadians and a lucrative industry that generates millions of dollars in revenue and attracts thousands of spectators and participants. According to a report by the Entertainment Software Association of Canada (ESAC), the Canadian esports market was worth $54 million in 2019 and was expected to grow by 7% annually until 2023. The report also found that more than 6.5 million esports fans in Canada and that 23% of Canadians aged 18 to 34 had watched or participated in esports events in the past year.
One factor contributing to the success of esports in Canada is the strong and supportive community among the players, fans, and organizers. Canada has many professional and amateur esports teams and players competing in local and international tournaments, such as the Overwatch League, the League of Legends World Championship, and the Call of Duty World League. Some of the most notable Canadian esports teams and players include the Toronto Defiant and the Vancouver Titans in Overwatch, Cloud9 and Team Liquid in League of Legends, and Damon “Karma” Barlow and Matthew “FormaL” Piper in Call of Duty. These teams and players represent Canada on the global stage and inspire and mentor the next generation of Canadian esports talent.
Another factor that boosts the growth of sport in Canada is the increasing availability and accessibility of esports venues and events. Canada has some esports arenas and studios that host regular tournaments and leagues, such as the Esports Arena in Toronto, the Gaming Stadium in Vancouver, and the Northern Arena in Montreal. These venues provide state-of-the-art facilities and equipment for the players and spectators and a social and interactive environment for the fans. Moreover, Canada also hosts some of the world’s biggest and most prestigious esports events, such as the Six Invitational in Rainbow Six Siege, the DreamHack Montreal in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and the Canada Cup in fighting games. These events attract thousands of attendees and viewers and millions of dollars in prize money and sponsorship deals.
Esport in Canada is a growing and thriving sector that offers a lot of excitement and entertainment for the players and fans, as well as a lot of opportunities and challenges for the operators and regulators. As esport becomes more mainstream and popular, we can expect to see more developments and innovations in the Canadian esport market, as well as more collaboration and cooperation among the stakeholders.
Lottery in Canada
Lottery is another popular and traditional form of gambling in Canada. Canadians love to play various lottery games, both online and offline, in hopes of winning big jackpots and prizes. Some of the most popular lottery games in Canada are:
- Lotto 6/49: Lotto 6/49 is the national lottery game in Canada, which the Interprovincial Lottery Corporation operates. Lotto 6/49 was launched in 1982, and it was the first lottery game in Canada to allow players to choose their numbers. Lotto 6/49 is played by selecting six numbers from 1 to 49, plus a bonus number. The draws are held twice a week, on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The jackpot starts at $5 million and grows until someone wins it. The largest bank ever won in Lotto 6/49 was $64 million in October 2015.
- Lotto Max: Lotto Max is another national lottery game in Canada, which the Interprovincial Lottery Corporation also operates. Lotto Max was launched in 2009, replacing the previous Lotto Super 7 game. Lotto Max is played by selecting seven numbers from 1 to 50 plus a bonus number. The draws are held once a week, on Fridays. The jackpot starts at $10 million and can grow to $70 million. The largest jackpot ever won in Lotto Max was $70 million in January 2020.
- Daily Grand: Daily Grand is a national lottery game in Canada, which the Interprovincial Lottery Corporation also operates. Daily Grand was launched in 2016, offering a unique prize structure. Daily Grand is played by selecting five numbers from 1 to 49 plus a grand number from 1 to 7. The draws are held twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays. The top prize is $1,000 a day for life or a lump sum of $7 million. The second prize is $25,000 a year for life or a lump sum of $500,000.
Lottery in Canada: A Long-Standing and Trusted Tradition
Lottery is one of the oldest and most trusted forms of gambling in Canada. The lottery has been a part of Canadian culture and history since the 1800s, when the first lottery was held to fund the construction of the Lachine Canal in Montreal. Since then, the lottery has supported various social and charitable causes, such as education, health care, sports, arts, and culture. Lottery is also a source of fun and entertainment for millions of Canadians, who enjoy playing and winning various games and prizes.
Lottery in Canada is regulated and operated by the provincial and territorial governments, which are responsible for ensuring the fairness, integrity, and security of the lottery systems and products. The regional and territorial governments also collaborate and coordinate with each other through the Interprovincial Lottery Corporation (ILC), which oversees and manages the national lottery games, such as Lotto 6/49, Lotto Max, and Daily Grand. The ILC also works with the federal government and other agencies to prevent and combat illegal and fraudulent lottery activities, such as money laundering, identity theft, and tax evasion.
Casino News about Poker in Canada
Poker is one of the most popular and skill-based forms of gambling in Canada. Canadians love to play various poker games, both online and offline, for fun and profit. Some of the most popular poker games in Canada are:
- Texas Hold’em: Texas Hold’em is the most widely played poker game globally and the most popular in Canada. Texas Hold’em is a community card game where each player is dealt two hole cards and five community cards are dealt face-up on the board. The objective is to make the best five-card poker hand using any combination of the hole and community cards. Texas Hold’em can be played in various formats, such as cash games, tournaments, and sit-and-goes.
- Omaha: Omaha is another popular poker game in Canada, similar to Texas Hold’em, but with some differences. Omaha is also a community card game, but each player is dealt four hole cards, and only two can be used to make the final hand. Omaha can be played in various variants, such as Omaha Hi, Omaha Hi-Lo, and Omaha 8-or-Better.
- Stud: Stud is a classic poker game in Canada, different from the community card games. Stud is a card game where each player is dealt a combination of face-up and face-down cards, with no community cards. Studios, such as Seven-Card Stud, Hi-Lo, and Razz, can be played in various variants.
Poker in Canada is not only a game but also a culture and a lifestyle. Canada is home to some of the world’s best and most famous poker players, such as Daniel Negreanu, Jonathan Duhamel, Mike McDonald, and Kristen Bicknell. Canada also hosts some of the biggest and most prestigious poker events and tournaments, such as the World Series of Poker, the World Poker Tour, and the PokerStars Championship. Poker in Canada is regulated by various provincial and territorial authorities, who oversee the licensing and operation of land-based and online poker rooms.
The Hottest Games and Promotions
One of the most exciting aspects of casino gaming is the constant innovation and variety that it offers. There’s always something new and exciting to try, whether it’s a classic game with a twist, a brand-new game with a unique theme, or a special promotion that gives you a chance to win big. Here are some of the hottest games and promotions that you can find in Canadian casinos right now:
- Mega Moolah: This is one of the most popular and lucrative progressive jackpot slots in the world, and it’s available in many Canadian online casinos. The game features four different jackpots, ranging from the Mini to the Mega, which can reach millions of dollars. The game also has a fun African safari theme, with colorful symbols and animations. The jackpot is triggered randomly, so anyone can win it at any time. In fact, just recently, a Canadian player won over $16 million on Mega Moolah, setting a new record for the game.
- Live Casino: Live casino games are the closest thing to playing in a real casino, without leaving your home. These games use real dealers, real cards, real tables, and real-time streaming to create an immersive and interactive experience. You can chat with the dealer and other players, and enjoy a variety of games, such as blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker, and more. Some of the best live casino providers in Canada are Evolution Gaming, Playtech, and Microgaming, which offer high-quality games with various features and options.
- No Deposit Bonuses: One of the best ways to try out a new casino or a new game is to use a no deposit bonus, which is exactly what it sounds like: a bonus that you get without making a deposit. These bonuses are usually given to new players as a way to welcome them and entice them to play more. They can come in the form of free spins, free cash, or free play. The best part is that you can keep what you win, as long as you meet the wagering requirements. Some of the best no deposit bonuses in Canada are offered by Jackpot City, Spin Casino, and LeoVegas.
The Legal and Social Issues
Casino gaming is not just about fun and entertainment, it also involves some serious legal and social issues that affect the industry and the players. These issues can have a significant impact on the availability, accessibility, and quality of casino games in Canada, as well as the rights and responsibilities of the players. Here are some of the most important legal and social issues that you should be aware of:
- The Kahnawake Gaming Commission: This is a regulatory body that operates within the Mohawk Territory of Kahnawake, a sovereign nation located in Quebec. The commission is responsible for licensing and regulating online casinos that cater to Canadian players, as well as hosting servers and data centers for these casinos. The commission is widely respected and recognized as a legitimate and reputable authority, and it has a strict set of rules and standards that ensure fair and safe gaming. However, the commission also faces some challenges and controversies, such as the legal status of its jurisdiction, the taxation of its revenues, and the protection of its servers from cyberattacks.
- The Responsible Gambling Initiatives: These are various programs and policies that aim to promote responsible gambling and prevent problem gambling among casino players in Canada. These initiatives are implemented by various organizations, such as the provincial governments, the casino operators, the gaming regulators, and the non-governmental agencies. Some of the common initiatives include setting limits on time and money spent on gambling, providing self-exclusion options, offering counseling and support services, educating and raising awareness, and conducting research and evaluation. These initiatives are essential for ensuring that casino gaming remains a fun and healthy activity, and that players are protected from the potential harms of gambling addiction.
Casino News FAQs
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about casino news in Canada:
Is online casino gaming legal in Canada?
The answer is not very straightforward, as the laws and regulations regarding online casino gaming vary from province to province. Generally speaking, online casino gaming is legal in Canada, as long as the casino is licensed and regulated by a reputable authority, such as the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, or by the provincial government, such as the British Columbia Lottery Corporation. However, some provinces, such as Alberta and Saskatchewan, do not have any online casino operators, and some provinces, such as Ontario and Quebec, have their own online casino platforms, which may limit the choices and options for the players. Therefore, it is advisable to check the laws and regulations of your province before playing online casino games.
What are the best online casinos in Canada?
The answer depends on your personal preferences and needs, as different online casinos offer different games, bonuses, features, and services. However, some of the factors that you should consider when choosing an online casino are the following: the license and reputation of the casino, the security and fairness of the games, the variety and quality of the games, the generosity and frequency of the bonuses and promotions, the speed and reliability of the payments, the availability and professionalism of the customer support, and the compatibility and usability of the platform. Based on these factors, our TOP of some of the best online casinos.
How can I play casino games on my mobile device?
Playing casino games on your mobile device is very easy and convenient, as most online casinos have mobile-friendly platforms that are compatible with various devices, such as smartphones and tablets. You can either access the casino website directly from your mobile browser, or download the casino app from the app store, if available. Either way, you can enjoy the same games, bonuses, features, and services that you would on your desktop computer, with the added benefit of playing anytime and anywhere.
Casino gaming is a dynamic and exciting activity that offers a lot of fun and entertainment and a chance to win money. However, casino gaming also involves some important legal and social issues that affect the industry and the players. Therefore, staying updated and informed about the latest casino news in Canada is important, which can help you make better decisions and have a better experience. We hope this article has given you some useful and interesting information about the casino news in Canada and that you’ll enjoy playing casino games responsibly and safely. Thanks for reading!